Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Blog is Borne

Hello Everyone!

This is not my first attempt at blogging. I had a rather lengthy and long-running blog on Yahoo Y!360 that was very popular among the tens, or perhaps dozens of readers that I had. Yahoo eventually decided to pull the plug on Y!360 (doing a complete 180 on their promises to keep it going) and so all of my precious blogs were cast into the ether, never to be seen again. In retrospect, that may be a good thing.

After that, I had another blog here on Blogspot and I enjoyed writing it and it again enjoyed the traffic of perhaps tens of readers. However, I found I just couldn’t seem to get the creative juices flowing. After much contemplation I finally reached the conclusion that the reason my muse had abandoned me was that I had linked my blog to my Facebook page and so my blog was being read by people that I actually know. This had a stultifying effect on my writing.

So, I decided to start another blog, but this time anonymously. That way I will not be inhibited by knowing it is being read by people I know. The downside to this plan, however, is that my readership will drop from tens down into perhaps single digits. Or less.

So, I will have to get out and drum up readers somehow. Not having the personality of a salesman, this will be a challenge. However, I think I can pull it off by popping onto other peoples’ blogs and leaving random comments and pretending that I know them somehow. In this way, people will begin to trickle into my blog and may even read a thing or two. Or they may just browse without buying anything and leave to go to the blog down the street which has more interesting fare (at least, according to that blog’s owner).

So, you may be curious to know who I am. I doubt that sincerely, but I’ll try to tell you as much as I can without actually revealing who I am. Otherwise my muse will abandon me again and, the economy being what it is, I can’t afford another muse right now.

I’m a man firmly ensconced in middle age. I am neither young nor old, falling into that ethereal place that men find themselves in between the ages of about 42 and 54 wherein they become invisible. This comes in handy for listening in on peoples’ conversations, but it is also useless in that we are at that age where we can’t seem to remember things we hear for more than about five minutes. We’re too young for senior discounts, but too old to be able to use our charms to finagle (or finesse) discounts on our own. Women have stopped noticing us. Other men have stopped being threatened by us. Youth don’t seem to even see us.

So, it is a “best of times, worst of times” situation. We simply exist. We observe, but we don’t comment, because who cares what a middle-aged man has to say? Just at the point in our lives when we are the most opinionated, everyone simultaneously stops wanting to hear our opinions. So we just keep it inside. It’s easier that way.

Well, you may not care what I have to say, but I’m going to say it anyway. I won’t be commenting on politics or philosophy, but I will be spouting off on lawn care and traffic and anything else that catches my attention on any given day. I’m too young to be a curmudgeon, but I’m wearing the paper trainee hat as a curmudgeon-in-training.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my blogs. Comments are always welcome!


June 23, 2010
Somewhere in the Suburbs of Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment